Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Gap

There has been a gap in my blog postings for a reason.  We came home from Baptist with Baby Katherine on Sunday, August 1st.  We took Katherine to the pediatrician Monday afternoon for a bili check.  On Monday night we got a call from Dr. Patterson saying Baby K's bilirubin was too high and we needed to be admitted to the hospital.  Paul and I were both very upset.  She gave us the option of Baptist of Vanderbilt Childrens.  We could not stay with her at Baptist, but could at VCH so we chose to go there.  The whole experience was scary.  I called my mom to come and stay with Luke. Since Paul and I were visibly upset Luke got very upset.

We went to the ER at VCH and were quickly taken back to a room.  It was determined Katherine needed to have phototherapy.  The nurses and doctors in the ER were great at explaining everything to us.  We ended up being admitted to the NICU which was scary as well.  Again, the nurses and NICU doctors were wonderful.  They said Katherine was having problems with her bilirubin for several reasons including being premature, lower weight, slight dehydration and abnormal lab values. 

Luckily, the hospital had a "sleep room" that Paul and I could use at night.  The nurses encouraged us to be very hands on which was nice but overwhelming all at once.  She had to get an IV in her head, which is very common in infants, but looked so painful.  Through everything she was such the trooper!  She was poked and prodded repeatedly but took it like a champ.  I continued to nurse her every 3 hours which helped excrete the bilirubin.  Through the whole ordeal she never really lost her appetite which was a blessing. 

Paul and I discussed taking pictures of everything but decided against it. As positive as an experience as we had we really did not want to remember her hooked up to all the wires, etc.  She responded very quickly to the phototherapy and we were able to go home on Wednesday the 4th.  It just so happened that the nurse discharging us was also a certified car seat specialist.  She would not let us take Katherine home in our car seat.  She said it just was not safe.  Paul and I agreed but hated to buy another carrier and base system.  Luckily, VCH has a parent resource center that sells everything at cost.  Paul bought a new carrier and base that is rated for 4# - 30#.  Katherine weighed exactly 5# when we left, but did not fit in our seat well. We both agreed she seemed much more comfortable in her new ride!

Both Paul and I have a new found respect for parents who deal with health problems in their newborns.  We are also so thankful that Katherine responded so well to the treatment and was able to come home in the shortest time frame possible.  We feel very fortunate to live in a city that has such world class health care for children!

1 comment:

Ladners'Latest said...

I know how you feel. Andrew too had to go back "under the lights" after our 2 day check up. It wasn't fun. But like you, we were able to stay at the hospital with him, which helped. After a two day "sun tan" as we called it, he got to come back home.