Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Scary Night


Katherine had a low grade temp when she got up this morning so Paula met me at work to take Katherine out to the farm for the day.  We were so glad that she and Bill were able to keep her today.  I am busy at work getting ready to start a new roomservice program and Paul is trying to tie up some loose ends at ServPro.  Paula said Katherine did great all day. She did not have a temp and played well and was not whiny.  When I got there to pick her up I checked her temp and it was 102.  I quickly gave her some Tylenol hoping to get it down.  We left to pick Luke up and she napped on the way home.  Paul was late leaving work so Mom brought supper to us.  Luke is spending the night with her and going to the Railroad Museum tomorrow.  I am working most of the day tomorrow and early Sunday.  Katherine napped while everyone was eating.  Luke and Mom left.

Katherine ate a great supper and seemed to be feeling ok.  When we went to check her temp at bedtime it was 104.7!  Paul and I did not believe so we checked it again.  I immediately called the doctor's office and the on-call service called me back.  We gave her Motrin as soon as we realized what her temp was.  In the few minutes it took for them to call me back she had fallen asleep in Paul's lap.  The nurse instructed us to wait an hour and re-check her temperature.  After that we were to give her a lukewarm bath.  The nurse said our goal for the night was to keep her temperature under 105.  If it got to 105 we needed to take her to the ER.  My stomach was doing flip-flops I was so nervous.  We even talked about going on to the ER anyway.  We decided to wait.  When we rechecked it after an hour is was 103.2 - much better.  We ran a bath for her and she loved it!  You never would have known she had a high temperature.  She splashed and played and did not want to get out.  We even took a video of her splashing around.

After her bath the temp was 102. It is amazing how quickly it can come down.  Paul put her to bed and we set our alarm for 2:00 am to check it again.  It was lower still at 2.  At 4:30 she woke up crying and I went to check on her.  She was sweaty and cool - her temp had broken!

This morning she has been fine.  She ate a great breakfast and has not had a temperature.  I have to work until tonight so she and Paul are going to Gallatin to hang out with Nene and Pop.  We are hopeful the temperature is gone.

No comments: