Wednesday, April 25, 2012

No Vacation for Mama


Today was the start of my mini vacay from work.  This Winter has been way too busy at work so I requested a few days off to get some things done that were long overdue on my to-do list and to spend some time with Andrew.  Luke had something else in mind.  Today was Western day and Luke had been looking forward to it for over a week.  We got his cowboy costume out last night and he was so excited.

When he got up this morning he started saying he didn't feel good. I kind of dismissed him since he knew Iwas off I thought he just wanted to stay home. He got dressed but still said he didn't feel good.  I decided to go ahead and take him to the doctor kind of as a lesson about how you should not fake being sick.  We dropped Katherine off and headed to the pediatrician.  We had to wait forever.  The front desk thought it would be quicker for us to see a doctor instead of doing the Fast Track clinic.  We were there an hour and a half.  They did a strep and a urine test.  Turns out Luke has hand,foot and mouth.  There have been a couple of cases of it at the school. We think he actually got it from Katherine.  She ran a temp for 24-36 hours last weekend and had a poor appetite.  Katherine will get a temp fairly often that goes away on its own and poor appetite is not an indicator of illness with her.  She is such a picky eater, we dont' think twice about her not eating well for a day or two. 

The doctor gave us a script for Tylenol with codeine and fully prepared me for this to be a bad case.  She advised him not to return to school for the rest of the week.  When we got to the car I sat there and cried.  I was just so looking forward of three days to myself.  Luke asked if I was crying or yawning (I said yawning).  The crazy thing was he acted fine -- no temp, appetite good, etc.  I decided to go on to Mom's to help Andrew do some things.  Luke was fine until the afternoon then he started getting whiny and fussy.  He started running a low grade temp.  Here's hoping it doesn't get as bad as the doc said!

No comments: