Thursday, April 12, 2012

The House That Built Me



Since the contract was put on Mom's house a month ago the award-winning Miranda Lambert song has had a new meaning to me.  Although we have encouraged Mom to sell her house for years, now that it is actually here it is pretty hard.  I know it is "just a house", but it was more than that for me.  It is the only house  I remember living in although I lived in two others before we moved to 1237 when I was three.

It was where I learned to ride a bike by Dad pushing me down the hill in the back.  It was also home to our first pet - Lucky - who "wasn't very Lucky".  She was ran over the first week we had her.  We had many Girl Scout functions there when I was growing up including the annual Halloween party as well as having an 18-wheeler full of cookies back down the driveway every winter.  Memories were made with my childhood friends from playing HillTop daycare with Suzy to making the walk through the neighbor's yards and up the hill to her house to hide-and-seek.  Then came my Sweet 16 Birthday party where my parents and friends went all out with a 50's sock hop theme complete with a DJ, homemade burgers and milkshakes.  The driveway was home to my first kiss and the "garrett" became a favorite high-school hang out for all my friends.  Fellow band members hung out their on Friday nights before football games.  There were many slumber parties and pick up basketball games.

When I went to away to college I loved coming home on the weekends and smelling something yummy cooking in the kitchen.  I remember the December after dad died putting garland on the front porch and telling Mom that Dad should be pulling in the driveway any minute.


After I finished Graduate School at Auburn I moved back home and got my first job.  I actually stayed there until Paul and I married in 2005.  We have wonderful memories from holidays and special events.  1237 will always hold a special place in my heart, but know that it is not just the house, but the people you love that make you who you are.  We are looking forward to making many more memories in Mom's new place....

No comments: