Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Best Helper Ever!


For the past few days I have been telling Luke that we have to do some cooking on Friday night to get ready for our Thanksgiving meals this weekend.  As soon as we got home he said he wanted to put his apron on and get to work!  And, he meant it.  We got right to work.  We made the sweet potatoes first.  I peeled and sliced them and he put them in the stock pot.  After the boiled and I drained the water he mashed them up and helped me add all the other ingredients.  It is amazing to me how much he can do now.  I asked him to get the mixer out and put the beaters on it.  He did that as well as plug it in.  He used the mixer to get it nice and smooth and help me pour it in the casserole dish.  Next, he helped me make the topping.  He used the pastry cutter to blend all the ingredients together and spread it on top.  Next, we made pumpkin pie.  I had actually never made a pumpkin pie but Luke has been wanting to since he saw it in one of his magazines.  We opted for canned pumpkin instead of fresh.  I was not channeling Martha Stewart that much!

When we finished all the cooking and were cleaning up he said "mommy, I like helping you, but I really like helping Daddy better".  When I asked what he liked helping daddy with he said "you now, working outside whacking the weeds and stuff!".  I LOVE that boy!  Hopefully he will be diverse like his daddy!

Katherine stayed pretty well occupied taking everything out of the cabinets while we were cooking.  I failed to mention that we also cooked spaghetti and meatballs for supper in the midst of all the holiday baking! 

No comments: