Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Warner Nature Center

Luke getting up close and personal with the swamp!

Group picture

The kids got to watch birds being banded.


Saying good-bye to their tour guide

After school treat
It was Luke's turn for a field trip today.  I took off to go with him.  We went to the Warner Nature Center at Edwin Warner park.  I had never been there and it was really fun.  The kids are learning about habitats in Science so this was a perfect trip. It was also a great segue into their first large project of the year.  It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed hiking and looking at the different habitats at the park.  The guide was great and I learned a few things!  One of the neatest things was getting to see a group of people working on banding birds.  There is a volunteer group of people that catch the birds and measure them and take notes on them before banding them and releasing them.  They had caught two birds that day so it was neat to learn about them.

After the guided tour we went to a shelter for a picnic lunch and free play for the kids.  It gave the parents an opportunity to get to know each other, too.  We left around 12:30 and did a couple of errands before we picked sister up at 3.  We had some things to pick up at Target so we got an icee for our shopping pleasure!  I was so glad I got to share Luke's field trip with him.

No comments: