Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Happenings




Luke's new favorite hobby -- basketball!

I have been saying for a couple of weeks that I wanted us to find somewhere fun to go eat breakfast today.  It isn't too often that Paul and I both have a 3-day weekend.  So, I thought it would be neat to get up and drive 30 mins - 1 hour away to a neat breakfast place and do some local touristy things.  All the places we were interested in were closed today. So, we opted for an old favorite -- Puckett's Grocery.  We decided to visit the downtown Nashville location this time.  It did not disappoint.  Although it is in the middle of all the city hub-bub it stayed true to its classic southern cooking.  They had a buffet available today.  Paul and Katherine ate that and Luke chose a Mickey Mouse pancake.  I love their bacon and biscuits!  We lingered over breakfast and definitely beat the holiday tourist crowd.  There was quite a wait when we left.

I had the great idea to go visit the new Music City Center which celebrated its Grand Opening earlier this week.  Unfortunately, it was not open to the public today. Next, we drove down to the train station at River Front thinking we could take a train ride, but it was closed for the holiday.  We finally ended up at the Bicentennial Mall.  They had dancing fountains to celebrate each of Tennessee's rivers.  Luke was begging to run through them but we didn't have a change of clothes for him.  We finally gave in and he and Katherine had a blast running through the water!  They would have stayed all day if we let them.  We let them  play for a long time since it was such a nice day.  They didn't put up too much of a fuss when we told them it was time to go.  We were in a dilemma with Luke and his clothes.  We stripped him down to his underwear and wrapped him up in one of my sweaters for the ride home.  Katherine had a change of clothes.  She is fully potty trained now with the exception of bedtime, but we always keep extra clothes on hand in case of an accident.  I am going to remember to put Luke some clothes in the car now, too.  In the Summer you just never know when a water play opportunity might present itself.

They were both worn out when we got home and took naps. We spent the rest of the day at home working on some outdoor and indoor projects.  I am currently obsessed with painting our front door so I spent a good bit of time researching door colors.  It is narrowed down to navy and black which are both safe, conservative choices.  We'll see when I get around to doing it.

It has been an absolutely fabulous weekend with fun had by all.  I love when we have an extended time off to enjoy being together!

No comments: